Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tea Party and Fun Lovin' Ladies!

There is something about being in the presence of older ladies who aren't trying to impress anyone. The popular song that sings, "girls just want to have fun"...should be rewritten to "older women know how to have fun!"


The Mother's Day Tea was held at a personal residence and when Lois came with her hat perched on the top of her head, the mistress of the home donned her yellow hat. Well, that started something, for another lady wanted a hat then I wanted a hat then...and so we ended up with 7 ladies prancing around wearing gorgeous hats for the tea party.


Sarah sang a beautiful song about moms being hero's and of course tears fell on the checks of a mother and daughter who are experiences the separation stage as the daughter goes off to college. Our first speaker, Joan, shared her journey as a mother, grandmother and now a surrogate mother to her granddaughters. Joan's daughter-in-law passed away then her mother and so her role as a mother has not stopped but taken new turns along the way. She had to become the mother to her mother as she took care of her in her last days here on earth and now she is helping her granddaughters with all those girly things dads just don't know about. Once a mother...always a mother. Her message encouraged me to realize the role I play in my grandchildren's lives.


As I write this I am smiling because if I were in my twenties what happened next may have shocked me or made me think I was with a group of strange women. But since I am over 50, I so think it was a very funny way to show how we are all little girls inside wanting to make people laugh. Our speaker, who is one of us, began her message by telling us her pantyhose were falling down and were in fact close to her knees. It bothered her so much she just let them fall even lower and she took them off. Yep! Right in front of us. Of course she was completely discreet...we didn't see anything gross but it was a memorable experience! Her talk was funny and lighthearted and yet she reminded us of the awesome influence we have on our husbands and children. She influences me with her love for the Lord and her take-life-as-it-comes attitude.


My own mother is in another state and I am so thankful that my sister and her husband are driving my parents down for a visit in a couple of weeks. I would have liked my mom to share the laughter at our Mother's Day Tea Party but maybe we can have our own small party when she is here.


After the tea party I went to a wedding and then later in the day I attended my granddaughter's dance recital. I watched as she pranced around on stage with no cares whatsoever. I remember those days when you didn't know what was planned for the next hour or so and you didn't care; for you lived in the present moment. I so often exist physically in the present with my mind either focused on what I did wrong in the past or what I have to do in the future.



Today I was able to enjoy the present, moment by moment, because it was a day that required my attention continually. I LOVED IT! No worries just a lot of laughter, joy and contentment that God, my heavenly Father said to my heart...enjoy this day, enjoy your friends, enjoy life! He has given us such a wonderful gift of fellowship and yet we fail to pursue friendships because we are so busy with our daily lives. I want everyday to be filled with loved ones...even if I can only reach out to one, I want to show love.


My Interpretation:


Don't worry about the future or beat yourself up over the past. Live in the present. Kiss your husband and children, dance with your grandbabies and laugh with your friends. Most importantly, be thankful for the Lord's loving kindness.

Psalms 92:1-6
It is good to give thanks to the LORD And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning And Your faithfulness by night, With the ten-stringed lute and with the harp, With resounding music upon the lyre. For You, O LORD, have made me glad by what You have done,I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands.How great are Your works, O LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment