Sunday, May 10, 2009

Swimming Pool Fiasco!



Here I am at 7:30 on a Sunday morning...Mother's Day ...I'm ready to go to church and I am so upset! I have established this little routine when upon awakening in the mornings, I go to the window and look out. The view from our bedroom is awesome because you can see the river and trees. But for the last 5 weeks I have looked out and seen our swimming pool a mess. Our only Swimming Pool dealer in town, told me it would take no more than 10 to replace the liner. They had to remove the liner (which they did the week before we went on Easter break, April 9) and order the liner (took 7 days) and then they were to patch it and replace it (they said 2 days tops). Well, it is 4 weeks later..28 days later and the pool has been exposed to a lot of rain and now the boards are warping.

So I am sitting here trying to calm down. My husband deals with businesses and people who do not do what they say will do all the time, but I don't. He wanted me to call them everyday, but I couldn't. I did call once week with legitimate concerns, like when they told me I needed to skim the bottom of the pool with concrete...an extra $8,000. NOT! So what was minor repairs they would patch free, they now wanted an extra $1,200 from our original agreement. Then I called to ask if the wind and rain would hurt the pool and should it be covered. The receptionist told me if it needed to be done they would do it. Well they didn't and now the pool is much worse than when they removed the old liner.

This is when being a Christian gets tough for me. Yes, I am upset because the quality of workmanship that we are paying for, with our hard earned money, is poor, very poor. And yet I talk to these people and they are nice...is that PR? How do I handle this? Do I get demanding and rude to get their attention, because being nice has not gotten me any results? They called and said they will be here tomorrow. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow and the forecast is for 69 degrees and it needs to be above 75. So now who can I blame for that...God? Heavens no! But it would have been nice if they had covered the pool.

Now I will see what kind of business people they are, for if they offer to fix the warped boards caused by their practices I will be satisfied. If not, I will be upset. What do I do then? I did think of contacting "5 on Your Side", which is the local TV station from Raleigh, who loves to handle problems like this. But I don't want to ruin their reputation, I just want quality work.

So now I am trying to calm down, change my frame of mind, and get prepared to go to church to worship the Lord, and teach Sunday School. I must focus on extending grace but ...
Dear Lord, help me to know how to handle this. Give me wisdom.

It's just a swimming pool. But it does matter. It's just a swimming pool. But we want it to be repaired correctly. It's just a swimming pool.


What would you do ?

No comments:

Post a Comment