Thursday, May 21, 2009

Memories, Laughter and Family





My sister and her husband along with my dad and mom were the highlight of my week...maybe even my month. Even my seventeen year old son commented on how happy I seem when I am around my family. Now don't take this wrong, but I laugh a lot more with a belly laugh when my sister and I get together. It's not that my husband and children don't make my life enjoyable, because they certainly do; and it's not that my grandchildren don’t' bring me joy because they are the joy of my life; but there is something about being totally transparent and well...goofy around my siblings that makes for better times.

When my sister and I get together we revert to our late teens and early twenties. Lucy and Ethel were our role models! I remember when we putting up wall paper for the first time in my house on a wall that was no longer than 12 feet. Straight shot. No corners. And it took us all day to hang about 4 sheets. We were laughing so hard as we got wrapped up in the wallpaper, stepped in the water tray and ended up with as much glue on us as on the wall. That was so much fun!

Then there were times when we each had two little ones and there was no seat belt law. Come to think of it there were no seat belts in the car. All four kids would jump up and down in the back seat of my green LTD (a big old car) and my sister and I would have the radio jammin' as we sang along. God was looking over us because no one was hurt even though big sis did drive over one of those cement blocks in a store parking lot in her new Mustang. We sure did laugh about that!

Yep, this week I was in my twenties again and we were talking nonstop. But I could tell my parents are getting older, especially my mom. It is harder for her to walk any distance without holding on to my dad. Actually it is very endearing to see how they take care of each other. Their love has lasted since she was 16 and he was 21; 60 years last April Fool’s Day. They are fools for each other.

My interpretation:

I want to make memories every single day of laughing with my loved ones and singing with my grandchildren (since my sons are all older and T gets tired of hearing me sing around the house) so that they will have something to look back upon in fondness.

Proverbs 17:22 A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones.
Ps 47:1 - O clap your hands, all peoples; Shout to God with the voice of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment