Thursday, March 5, 2009

Remember When...

Remember when life wasn't so complicated and a man's "yes" was "yes" and his "no meant "no." You didn't have to be a mind reader to really know what people were saying to you. Remember when your dad would hold you on his lap and tell you everything would be alright. Remember when your mom told you how to save money and be a shopper because we didn't need so much stuff and it kept us from becoming greedy. Remember when the man you loved, loved you back and life couldn't get much better than that!

As I sat with a young woman who was struggling to understand how she got where she is and wanted answers to know how to get out of the tangled web she had fallen into, memories of the tough times in my life came flooding back. It felt as if the waves were trying to knock me over again, but this time I was more aware of the devils tricks. I have changed and thank the Lord, my life is not what it was 30 years ago. But I do want to remember some things so I can help my young friend realize that life can be overwhelming and yet we can learn to swim when the flood waters rise around us.

How can I help her in a practical way? As a Christian I know God loves me and He cares about me, she know that too. She is a believer in Jesus and yet her life hasn't changed. She keeps going back to the wrong cistern for water and walks right on by the well that can refresh and renew her. I did that for years, but I don't want her to miss out on the peace God provides. It all sound so fake, doesn't it? But it's not. I remember when I thought a lot about God, wrote Him love letters before I realized that was called journaling, and yet my life didn't change. It wasn't until I met Him face to face. How is that, you say? Well it would take more pages than I have available here to tell you my story, but I will tell you I did meet Him in the most unusual way and from that moment on I totally knew that He is alive!! That is what changed my life. I pray for a face to face meeting for my friend. Face in Hebrew also meant presence. So I pray she will be in His presence and know that He is alive.

My Interpretation:

God allows us to go through trials in order that we can help others as they go through similar circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment