Sunday, March 22, 2009

Life is so fragile...that's why I'm glad God is in control.

After dining with our new youth pastor and his wife, my husband and I went home for our Sunday nap outside by the pool. It was a beautiful day and we wanted to take in some sun since it is the beginning of spring and our faces needed some color. We had planned visiting an older couple from our church and even though we knew they had just received some terrible news, we took our time getting there, as we had plenty of time.

Time...you think you have so much of it and you don't use it wisely until you spend time with someone who has little time left. Our friend Clyde, was told last week that cancer has spread throughout his lower body. There is no treatment the doctors can use as he has already received the maximum amount of radiation and chemotherapy. His wife, Joanne, told us the details while he looked at away, sometimes staring off into space. I wondered what was going through his mind.

Clyde has a special place in his heart for my husband and tells us so every time we see him. We aren't sure why...it's a God thing. But you can see it in his eyes, like a father looking into the eyes of a son. Maybe since my father-in-law has been gone so long, Clyde feels like a surrogate father; a Christian example to encourage my husband. You could also see the strong love that he has for his bride of 59 years. There is a twinkle in his eyes, a sparkle, a look that says, "I love this women. She is my soul mate, the reason I want to live; to take care of her."

What is it like to know you are dying and soon you will have to say goodbye to your wife and children? I guess we should all look at life that way, since we are here only for a little while and death is inevitable. Clyde told us he has lived 25 years beyond his first bout with cancer, and that he was thankful. Both Clyde and Joanne are true followers of Jesus and they carry inside the Spirit of the living God. Even though they know they have hard times ahead, they choose to be positive and enjoy the time they have left with smiles on their faces and joy in their hearts.

My interpretation:

Use my time wisely everyday, every moment. Not on stuff to make me happy but on things that really matter...family, friends and telling others that Jesus loves them!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. He is failing fast but yet he is always smiling and sharing how wonderful and gracious God is to him.

    ReplyDelete