Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I love to hear my grandchildren sing!

It was one of those Sunday afternoons when you just wanted to lay on the couch and do nothing; especially while fighting a sinus infection. The meds made me sleepy and well...a little grumpy. I heard the phone ring and thought for sure no one would answer it. But my hubby surprised me and I heard him call my name and as I looked up he motioned for me to get up and walk into the kitchen to take the call. I just wasn't in the mood to talk. But ...

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear grandma, happy birthday to you!" My grandchildren were singing with voices like angels and I could hear their mother's voice joining with theirs. I was so surprised and I hated to tell them that it was not my birthday!! How can you tell the sweetest people who cared about me, that they made a mistake.

My daughter-in-law and I started laughing and she realized she was a month early on wishing me well. It was her first senior moment at 35. Then the children were asking to talk to me so they could tell me how much they loved me and how they hoped I was having a great birthday. I guess when my birthday comes around next month they will think grandma is getting old fast by having another birthday.

This phone call really touched my heart because my son and his wife divorced last year. I have had to learn new boundaries as I strive to keep an open heart. So for her to think of me and make the call for my grandbabies to sing to me, really made my "not so great" day, very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment