Friday, August 21, 2009

Snake in the Pool!

Today my granddaughter and I were trying to cool off by swimming in the pool. I don't know what the temperature was today but yesterday the heat index was 105 degrees. I always sweep out the leaves and do a good check but today I forgot to check the skimmer. Should have! We were swimming around and doing some exercises when I noticed something moving in the distance. The sun was glaring off the water and I couldn't make out exactly what I was seeing, but I knew it wasn't good.

In a very stern voice I asked my granddaughter to get out of the water. At first she asked why and then she realized grandma Barb was very serious. She immediately obeyed and once out of the pool she asked me what was wrong. I then told tell her there was a snake in the pool and I was so proud of her for following my orders quickly. She stood off to the side as I scooped up the snake in the net. She followed my command to get uncle TD to kill the poisonous water moccasin. Yep! A poisonous snake could have hurt my little princess. Lately there have been reports of people getting bitten by snakes, and I am so thankful that we aren't going to be on that list.

Recently I was put on some medication for a sinus infection that can produce heart palpitations. Well I don't know if it was the meds or the presence of danger, but my heart was pounding. We sat on the edge of the pool for awhile and I kept a close watch on the clear cool water. What caused me to notice the small squiggly creature taking a dip in my pool? How the outcome could have had a bad ending! I wondered how this could be used as a life lesson.

So many times I am in the cool waters of life, nothing dangerous by any means, but not paying attention to my surroundings. Then all of a sudden it feels as if something or someone is after me. The devil is ready to pounce and attack. My husband has a keen awareness, a discernment that tells him when he is in danger. It is a spiritual awakening to take physical action. It has happened so many times that I, like my granddaughter heed his warning. I must admit I used to question, but now I follow his lead and when out of harms way, he tells me what the Holy Spirit has revealed to him.

My Interpretation:

1 Peter 5:8 Be of sober {spirit,} be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 But resist him, firm in {your} faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.

1 comment:

  1. HOLY COW! I'm so glad you weren't hurt! God's provision!
    Hope the sinuses are better as well. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete