Thursday, July 9, 2009

Danger! Man’s quest for adventure!

He took off his sunglasses and jumped in the choppy water. The knee board was the only thing my husband could use to help him swim to the boat where his youngest son, Timmy, was in trouble. There was no life jacket at the dock. The life jackets were on the boat and the three boys were obviously having problems and not able to get the boat started. As Ron and I were watching from the upper deck, we thought the boys had decided to jump in the water and swim for awhile before coming in. But they took such a long time and then it appeared they were in the water pulling the boat to shore. He had to swim out to them and bring them home. It was a, "I'm his dad and I have to help my boy" moment.

My heart pounded for my husband more than for the boys because they could get back in the boat and wave down another boater for help. There were several boats in the area…that was another problem for my husband. The farther he went out the harder it was for me to see him as the sun was going down. The glare on the water made him disappear. So if I couldn't see him then I knew boats flying on the water wouldn't be able to see him. In fact, earlier in the day, Jacob, Timmy's friend, was knee boarding and when he took a fall two boats whizzed past him without even seeing him. ..and they never even looked back. The thought that Ron could get ran over made me very nervous.

Water was splashing as Ron was kicking ferociously as the current was taking him the other way. Then he stopped. I thought he fell off the knee board. Yes, he did fall off. My mind raced and I thought if without a life jacket would he be able to swim to the knee board or would he have enough strength to reach the boat. It was only a few seconds but it seemed much longer, when he grabbed the knee board and pulled himself back on top of it. Then I yelled to warn him a boat was coming his way, but the boat turned and I said a breath prayer. Actually I began saying breath prayers as soon as I saw the boys in trouble.


Ron is diabetic and his blood sugars were spiking ever since we came to the lake house. He had just had a drop earlier and I worried that the stress would also drive his blood sugars down while he was rescuing our son and his friends. What would I do if he had a cramp and fell off the knee board? I tried to run different scenarios through my mind so I would be able to make a quick decision if that happened. I also knew that the love of a father is stronger and more propelling than anything and Ron was determined to save his son. I was never prouder of this man I am married too.

The boys were using the skis as paddles and someone was in the water pulling it as they swam. When Ron reached the boat I let out a thank you prayer, but then I noticed the boys were still in the water swimming toward the dock. Ron had taken the helm and it looked as if he was drifting with the current. I was totally confused. Why were the boys swimming and not in the boat? Was the motor running? Were they going to swim to shore and then get help for Ron?

Finally I heard laughter and saw them floating on their backs flipping over often and talking casually to each other. I think they thought that if Ron had swum out they should be able to swim in….boys !

My Interpretation:

There is something inside each man (boy) that requires "danger" to make them feel alive. Well that's great for them but for the women watching it can be terrifying. Although I must admit, it made my heart swell up with pride and admiration. Maybe that's why we read in the Bible …men love your wives, wives respect your husband. I saw both my hubby's love for our son (and me) and my respect for him grew. Ain't love grand!

1 comment:

  1. Tell Ron that we said for him to stay out of that choppy water....We don't want any danger, we know he is alive!!!we love you guys! Carly and Tim

    ReplyDelete