Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Light from the Lamp Exposes Darkness

Our Wednesday night class is studying the book of Luke and in preparing for class I read the following passage.

Luke 11:33-36 "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl.  Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body.  When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light.  But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.  See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.  Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, a when the light of a lamp shines on you."

The most important part of this passage to me is that my eyes have to be good in order for me to see the Light correctly.  Good is meant as "sound"; Greek: "single." That is focused, single-minded.  I am to keep my eyes focused on Christ and the Word. When my eyes are not focused on HIM, looking around at the things of the world that I think are ok and putting more time into things that do not bring me closer to the Lord, I have opened my eyes and allowed things that are not of God to enter my mind.

I have also created dark places where I don't want the light to shine because if it does then the evil within me is exposed.  The darkness of a critical spirit, selfishness, greed, the list could go on.  But I want to be a women after God's own heart and full of His Light.  Conviction from the Holy Spirit has already begun and it stirs within me a desire to read the Bible more to be single-minded.

Am I a living interpretation of His light? Forgive me Lord! Please fill me with spiritual understanding and insight.



No comments:

Post a Comment