Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kingdom First then Food and Clothes

Jesus said to his disciples in Luke 12: 22-23, "Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes."

What do you think about when you wake up? Still in the dreamy stage I whisper, "This is the day the Lord has made...I WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT." Sometimes I have to say this as a command to myself so that I will not focus on the problems that need to be taken care of but that I will be thankful that I have the ability to take care of them.  For instance...my business laptop crashed yesterday which means that my cash flow reports from the last 3 months are now gone and the end of the year reports for 2 businesses are now gone and all the emails I have sent cannot be retrieved.  A techie friend told me to go to our local Computer Guy and he should be able to help me.  So this morning saying my morning breath prayer was to remind me that I am to rejoice and be glad in every day that the Lord allows me to spend here on earth.

The very next thing I think about though is what will I eat and wear.  I must eat to have energy for the day and clothes are kinda important if you know what I mean.  I must confess though the older I get the more my life seems to be centered around food.  What should I eat ...what shouldn't I eat.  Only a few seasons of my life did I really get into cooking and though I did enjoy making gourmet meals for my mom and dad as their monthly Christmas gift, it took a lot of time and money.  And for what?  one hour of pleasure. 

But there is something about sitting down with family and friends over a good meal.  And it does seem like fellowship in the Bible and at church is centered around food.  But I do understand how I stress and worry over what to fix when we have company.  Sometimes the anxiety level dampens my desire to entertain more and maybe that is the point.  First I am not fixing a meal to entertain but a meal to serve along with conversation and friendship.  The food is not the important element of the gathering.

Now to clothes.  Well I really don't like to shop and in 2007 after my mission trip to Haiti I didn't buy clothes for a year, but I can't honestly say that I don't think about clothes and how some items make me look fat (surely it isn't that I have gained weight!). I don't think I am overly concerned with my looks but then on a Sunday morning after trying on 3 outfits, I get so disgusted with myself and how I look that I just want to stay home. That shows me just how much attention I put on my clothes and appearance.  When in fact very few people even notice me.

Jesus said. "For the pagan world runs after all such things, and you Father in heaven knows that you need them.  But seek His kingdom first and these things will be given to you as well. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.  Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where you treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Well....it's time to eat my breakfast, get dressed and exercise....then take a shower, get dressed, work at home with Quick Books Online and go to lunch with a dear friend.  Ok so twice I am eating and putting on clothes .....but I won't worry about it and praise God that He has provided and I will try to seek His ways all day in everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment