Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Widow's Lesson

I have been randomly opening my Bible and reading in the morning and lately it seems everything has something to do with end times.  Today my Bible opened to Luke 21 where Jesus talks to the disciples about the future, about his return and about us remaining faithful.  It starts out though with the story about the widow...

1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury. 2 And He saw a poor widow putting in two small  copper coins. 3 And He said, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; 4 for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to  live on."


I wish I could be more like this widow (not the widow part) but that I could truly offer out of my poverty and not my surplus.  What would that really feel like to know that you are giving unto the Lord all that you had to live on.  There are days in my past that I as a single mom had very little resources to use to provide for my 2 sons but during that time I didn't go to church on a regular basis and if I did I never tithed because I thought I had to have every penny in order to live.  After my husband and I married and became a part of a church, he decided that we should tithe and not that I didn't think we should ( I grew with a father that strongly believed in tithing) I was just so afraid of not having enough to pay bills and feed my children.  I had to really trust God and my husband.  God blessed me with contentment and security and after 28 years of marriage, He has proved over and over that if I surrender my money to Him, He will continue to provide what I need! Not only money but everything!


Why do I worry about the future when this women wildly gave all she had? I want to give more...more money to help people like those in Haiti, more time to help people that are all alone, more use of  skills and talents to help the church....more glory to HIM and not to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment