Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Staying Balanced!



Aren't these little birdies cute? Notice how they stand on one leg? Most of them were until I came up to take their pictures and then I must have knocked them off balance and they had to put down their other leg. I did a little research and from what I've read the scientists guess (since they can't actually talk to the birds) that it is a way to conserve energy and to warm their bodies. Something like when we are out in the cold with a short sleeve shirt on, we might take one arm out of the sleeve and hold it close to our bodies. Also, if the bird is in water, it might want to take the leg out as not to get the "prune" look. Whatever the reason it sure seems funny that they would stand on one leg when they have 2 perfectly good legs to stand on.

There have been times when I felt as if I was standing on one leg trying to keep my balance. I think I forgot I had two legs and all I needed to do was put my other leg down. Simple but....? I have been practicing yoga lately and standing on one leg isn't as easy as it used to be. I start out ok and then one little move to the right or left, I start teetering and then it's all over. If I concentrate on one unmovable point on the wall I am able to stand for a considerable amount of time. The key is concentration. Focusing on one spot that does not change or sway back and forth. When I look at the source of my focus I cannot allow myself to look anywhere else.

That's how it is with my whole being (spiritually, physically and emotionally). I must stay focused on one thing. That one thing is my faith in God. God is unchangeable and I want my faith to be also.

In order for me to keep my focus on God I have to read the Bible as a personal love letter written to tell me how much I am loved by Him,

study the Bible as a history book of how God works in and through people and as a manual for living so I will obtain the abundant life,

and then teach the Bible to my children, grandchildren or someone, anyone, so that, together we will complete Christ's joy by loving, living and giving to the next generation.

As long as I keep my focus on Him and not sway to the right or the left, I can keep my balance and the abundant life flows from within me. But as soon as I decide that I am too busy to read the Bible, too lazy to study the Bible, then I become too lethargic to teach anyone anything. I know the birds can stand on one leg for four hours and then they have to switch it up. Well, for me I don't want to only stand for 4 hours and go back and forth on my legs. I want to stand on two legs balanced at all times and forever; but I know that often I want to do something different or my own way, s0 I pull up a leg and teeter and totter and fall down.

My Interpretation:

God created us to have good balance. I am not a bird but a real chick, and I need to stand firm on two legs, focused on Him and walking on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment