Monday, September 21, 2009

What does Mikveh, Washing of the Disciples Feet and Christian Baptism have in common?

As I study about the Jewish marriage, I understand more about my relationship with Jesus and His bride, the church. There are so many interesting facts ...Here is a sample of what we are studying today from "Attending the Bride of Christ...preparing for His return" by Martha Lawley.

Prior to their betrothel ceremony, the Jewish bride and groom separately prepared themselves to enter into covenant relationship. This preparation included the ritual of water immersion known as the mikveh. Ritual immersion represented spiritual cleansing. When Jesus washed the disciples feet at the Last Supper he was symbolically preparing the bride for covenant relationship. Christian baptism represents spiritual cleansing. Isn't that so cool?

At the betrothal ceremony the bridegroom gives the bride a gold ring to wear...on her finger or in her nose! That ring set her apart exclusively for her groom. They shared a cup of wine, symbolizing the blessing of their new covenant relationship. This betrothal covenant was not a promise to marry; instead, it was the initiation of the marriage relationship. Continuing to live apart, the bride and the bridegroom each prepared for the fulfillment of the marriage covenant.

This is a very interesting and enlightening study and I highly suggest you get a copy from Lifeway Bookstores and join us on Sunday nights or study alone. Martha has a unique way of bringing the Old Testament, New Testament and life application together in a single setting.

As I think of Christ as my husband, I am reminded of my earthly husband and Ephesians 5:25-33...

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

My Interpretation:

I am washed by the blood of the Lamb! Jesus sought me and bought me and now I am part of His Bride. Also, Jesus washes me through His WORD...that is, when I take time to read His WORDS!! And my earthly husband shares with me what the Lord has revealed to him when he reads the Bible. Cleanse me Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment