Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Kindergartners and Meeting a new friend from Latvia.

Looking into the eyes of my granddaughter as she saw me enter her classroom was priceless. I happened to be the only parent...well, grandparent...to join the teacher as she walked with the 16 kindergartners to the house hosting their end of the year party. I could tell they were excited by the high squeals and constant motion. I felt like I was herding young calves (which I have done) trying to spur them to walk a little faster and to stay in line. Actually they were very good listeners and the journey was fun.

The backyard was filled with the blow up water slides and the children had no problem jumping in and having fun. After a few hours in the sun, the teacher even climbed up the slide (which is harder then you think) and slid down amongst the giggles of the kids. Us adults were having a good laugh as we cheered and encouraged her to do it again. I'll give it to the teacher; it would have taken a lot for me to go down the slide in front of all the parents and grandparents.

My little princess loved having her face painted and her hair sprayed green. It was interesting to see how they interacted with one another. Of course, they have been together for 9 months, so they should know one another pretty well. The parents on the other hand, only see each other at special events, and for me I was meeting most of them for the first time. One lady was new to the area and so we talked about living in a small town as opposed to the large city in Virgina where she was raised. A pregnant mom and her mother were also there; so three generations raised in this area were able to enjoy an afternoon together. That was nice.

My favorite new person was a young lady who was there painting flowers and animals on the faces of the children. She is here from Latvia. I hope I spelled that right. What a treat to talk to this 21 year old who is a believer of God and is here doing research on American idioms. I told her about my trip to Haiti and how seeing their poverty changed me. Her insights into the American culture and our over indulgences with food were right on target. We fix more than we can possibly eat and then we throw away good food because we don't want to eat left overs. I am so guilty of that! I hope I can meet with her again before she leaves in July.

Yep! Today was a good day. Meeting new people and enjoying my little princess.

My Interpretation:

God's people are all around us. Sometimes we may seem to be alone and wonder if we should even mention His name in conversation, but when we do in a casual way, His people take notice! When Aggie and I realized we were both Christians, our conversation became even more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment