Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm getting a little nervous about my sinus surgery.

As most of you know, the reason I went to the ENT was because of the severe headaches I was having. After examining me the first doctor didn't think anything was wrong with my sinuses but thought he would rule it out before sending me to a neurologist. Of course, after the CT scan, he found I did indeed have a sinus infection and put me on Augmentin for 14 days and I started squirting Nasonex in my nose. Nothing happened!

Then I went to UNC Hospital and Dr. Ebert examined me and thought it was probably migraines, as he didn't see any signs of sinus problems. He ordered another CT scan, and found my maxillary sinus cavity was completely filled with infection and possibly fungus. YUK! After 21 days on Prednisone and Levaquinn, the headaches eased up but the infection is still there.

The passageway needs to be enlarged so the fluid can drain from the maxillary sinus into my nose. Nasonex helped with the inflammation in my nose, so the passageway is not blocked but it still needs enlarged. A couple of days ago I felt great but today my face hurts and I know I need this surgery. I have mentioned to some that I was having sinus surgery and everyone gets that "Oh NO!" look on their face. I am told by my doctor that this new procedure is much better...no packing!

I was told not to take any aspirin or ibuprofen for 7 days before surgery. I have not had any major headaches this week, so all is well. But I am going to the beach for the weekend with some friends and I am worried I will get a migraine... what will I take? I don't want to ruin our time there. I am so ready to get this over and behind me. I can't imagine what it is like to breathe from both sides of my nose!! It has been blocked for at least 9 months.

Why did I wait so long? I just didn't think it was an infection. I had been told for years that I needed surgery because I had a deviated septum. That wasn't the problem at all. Thank God I had the headaches that got me to the doctor. Thank God, Steve called me and told me about the doctor he saw and how the procedure was new and improved! Thank God for doctors!!

But I have to tell you, I am a little nervous about the surgery. Being put out and having something stuck up my nose doesn't thrill me. Plus, so many get sick just being in the hospital. I can't let myself think too much about it, so I focus on the positives. No more aching face...no more headaches...lot more air...

Pray for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment