Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I turned 58 and started a new career!

I really thought that once my youngest son went off to college, life would slow down.  What a joke!  I feel like I am just waking up from a long nap and it is time to learn new things and enjoy a good challenge. 

So...my son who has a business in the Raleigh area ask me to work for him. I thought it through...

For so long I wondered what it would be like to go back to work.  I managed a bank 19 years ago until I was bed-ridden while pregnant, and once my son was born I dedicated my life to raising my boys. At first I missed working and the performance reviews.  Yep!  I needed to hear I was doing a good job. But then I found volunteer work at school and church can be very rewarding.  Now, it was time to re-enter the work force and even though it was quite a drive to work for my son, I couldn't imagine a better boss.

The 90 minute drive to his house, (which is also his office) gives me time in the morning to pray for my family.  I have been able to call my mom who lives in Ohio and check on her and call my sister in Texas.  There are even quiet moments when I clear my head of any thoughts and try to listen to the small wee voice guiding me into this new season of my life.

Learning Quickbooks Online has been a challenge, since I haven't done bookkeeping professionally.  The books for my small cross stitch shop was simple; very simple! In fact I used pen and paper...no computer.  Coming from a family of bookkeepers, accountants, CFO's  and business owners, it is in my genes.  Never thinking it would intrigue me so, I have found instant gratification when I have accomplished my to do list. 

Another son also works with us and he has taught me how to use QB online and I am rather surprised at his patience.  He does often tell me to try to figure it out on my own and if I can't, then I can ask him for help.  That's weird...taking directions from a 23 year old.  The son who owns the company is 35 and has a lot of patience too.  A lady on his staff asked him if he could fire his mother if I wasn't doing my job.  He smiled.  I wouldn't want to put him in that position.  I am trying my very best to his best bookkeeper!

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine working with my sons. You are a good woman to even attempt to do so...and to do accounting too. You are in my prayers. I'm glad you have added to your blog too! I am looking forward to hearing more on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete